History of KMC
Getting Kangaroo Care into practice
Important milestones to reach the goal of getting kangaroo care as normal practice for all babies. (Click the different years for more info).
Bogota Declaration: KMC as an alternative to appropriate neonatal facilities, minimal neonatal care, and as a means of humanizing neonatal care.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_care (Accessed on 7 July 2022)
- de Château, P 1976. The Influence of Early Contact on Maternal and Infant Behaviour in Primiparae (1976) Birth Volume 3, Issue 4 p. 149-156 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-536X.1976.tb01186.x
- Bonding by Kennell & Klaus. Pediatr Rev. 1998 Dec;19(12):433. doi: 10.1542/pir.19-12-433. PMID: 9849076.
- WHO. Kangaroo mother care – a practical guide. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2003
- https://www.healthynewbornnetwork.org/resource/kmcjointstatement (Accessed o 7 July 2022)
- Charpak, N., Zf, D.C., & Jg, R.S. (2000). The Bogotá Declaration on Kangaroo Mother Care”: conclusions at the second international workshop on the method. Second International Workshop of Kangaroo Mother Care. Acta Paediatrica, 89(9);1137-40 doi:10.1080/713794578. PMID 11071099
- Conde-Agudelo A, Diaz-Rossello JL, Belizan JM. Kangaroo mother care to reduce morbidity and mortality in low birthweight infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(2):CD002771. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002771. Update in: Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;(3):CD002771. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002771 PMID: 12804436
- Susan Ludington’s “KCBIB”” (Accessed on 7 July 2022)
- Charpak N, Angel MI, Banker D, Bergh AM, María Bertolotto A, De Leon-Mendoza S, Godoy N, Lincetto O, Lozano JM, Ludington-Hoe S, Mazia G, Mokhachane M, Montealegre A, Ramirez E, Sirivansanti N, Solano JM, Day LT, Uy ME. Strategies discussed at the XIIth international conference on Kangaroo mother care for implementation on a countrywide scale. Acta Paediatr. 2020 Nov;109(11):2278-2286. PMCID: PMC7687100 doi: 10.1111/apa.15214 PMID: 32027398
- WHO 2021 Kangaroo mother care started immediately after birth critical for saving lives, new research shows. Geneva, 2021. https://www.who.int/news/item/26-05-2021-kangaroo-mother-care-started-immediately-after-birth-critical-for-saving-lives-new-research-shows (Accessed 7 July 2022)